Skip to main content

Stupid and contagious

I have been reading quite a bit lately, what's new?

I am in the middle of a very funny book. The title - Stupid and Contagious - is a nod to Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit. The author, Caprice Crane, is the daughter of Ginger (Tina Louise) from "Gilligan's Island". Who would of thunk that? Crane is about the same age so many of the references to life really hit home. It is basically the book that I would want to write, if I could write a book. Very Hornby-ish. It is as if my thoughts about life in general have suddenly appeared in print. Gotta love that.

I just finished Scar Tissue by Anthony Kiedis. Kiedis is the lead singer of one of my favorite bands, The Red Hot Chili Peppers. It was disturbing and sad, however explained a lot of the odd Chili Pepper's lyrics. Kiedis had a tragic childhood, with a completely inappropriate drug dealer father in California during the 70s. The perfect storm needed to create an immature rock star. He in turn became an addict and delinquent by the age of 13 thanks to the stellar role model in his life. I am amazed a person can do so much to repeatedly destroy himself and somehow manages to survive. Someone must really want him to be here. I would only recommend to fans of RHCP.

Next on the docket is The Audacity of Hope by Barack Obama. The freshman senator from Illinois has been receiving quite a bit of buzz as of late and I want to see what he is all about. I saw him on Oprah a few months ago when the book came out and he intrigued me. He appeared to be a down to earth idealist which is a feat in itself. I can say with 100% certainty the right-wing home office will not be reading this book.

Comments

carey said…
Cool, Sue. I can always use good book recommendations. I am currently, and on purpose, without a book. I know I don't have time with the holidays...but it's killing me. I had to buy a magazine the other day to curb my craving...

btw, i can COMMENT AGAIN. WHEE!!
Karen said…
Suse--thanks. I'm not sure I agree w/you on your Obama assessment. I will read his book and get back to you on that. Otherwise, thanks for the tips.
Susan said…
Carey - So good to have you back...you have been missed.

Karen - thanks so much for your ongoing comments. We will have to have a good discussion when we are both done with the book. I am already having multiple debates with Dan and I haven't even opened the book. He assumes my mind is made up, however I am completely open.
Karen said…
Sue--can we discuss it over some of your chocolate chip cookies??
Susan said…
Sure. You know my chocolate chip cookies haven't been quite the same as in college. It must have been a magic oven. That would be the only thing that was magic in that dump.
Karen said…
Audacity came in the mail today. Will begin after the Monkey is in bed tonight. Have you finished it?

Popular posts from this blog

50 is the new 40

There is hope - I realized today that Madonna is going to be 50 in like 3 months - crazy. 50. Have you seen her lately? She looks amazing and is proof that 50 is the new 40 or in her case 35. Here is her most recent song w/Justin Timberlake, 4 Minutes. Not gonna win a Grammy, but makes me want to start doing yoga, I would give anything for arms like that.

Pleased as punch

We got our new vacuum cleaner last night. The home office was kind enough to pick one up along with our PF Chang's takeout. Take out Chinese on Valentine's is a tradition. Anyhoo, as you can see from the photo we basically sucked up an entire Pomeranian in our upstairs family room. I don't know if I should be embarrassed or pleased. I mean we just vacuumed on Monday with the Hoover and I knew it wasn't picking up everything, but this is ridiculous. The home office was so impressed with the Animal he went downstairs and vacuumed up another canine in the family room down there. I am still trying to figure out all of the gadgets on the machine. I seriously cannot figure out how to attach the stair cleaner. It is really funky how the thing is put together, efficient, but funky. I also for the life of me cannot figure out the directions. I dislike how all European companies, Dyson (UK), IKEA (Sweden) just show you pictures. I always thought I was a visual person, but I am b

Gainfully employed

I heard back last night from Cargill , I start back into the world of the gainfully employed as an independent contractor on October 8 th . My old client, who will now be my new client, Jeff wrote: I'm thrilled we get to work together again. This is the most important project our business unit has taken on in a lot of years so I feel a lot better knowing you're going to be part of it. OK now I'm nervous. Eeek - the most important project? Whoa, better bring the A game, but you know I am excited - scared - but am ready to go. I have so much to do before the 8 th , gotta get the list together to make the most of my kid free week (now that litte man is at daycare in the a.m.). Let's see: 1) Paint basement. 2) Purge house of clutter - how can we accumulate this much crap? 3) Goodwill and library drop off - Maple Grove Library is taking donations until Oct. 6 th !!! 4) Get the yard ready for winter - should I plant more bulbs? 5) Put basement back together - IKEA run ma