Skip to main content

Christmas Letter '07 - Home Office Style

The Holidays bring so many fun little projects that I forgot how hard it was to fit these in when working. One of those tasks is Christmas cards, I have the process down pat, however just haven't got around to it yet. The cards are sitting on top of the fridge, the label spreadsheet has been updated and the letter is in my head.

We all know how much the home office loves the Holidays. Kidding, I said if he had some free time he could give the annual letter a shot...well he surprised me and did just that. After reading, I do not think we will be sending it out, but just had to share because it was so funny.

I am proud of my non-letter writing husband, here is his version of the Schmidts '07.

You are about to read one of those lame Christmas letters so many people feel necessary to include in their Christmas cards. For those of you that find these things offensive, read section A (the short version). If, on the other hand you want the full experience, proceed to section B.

SECTION A
We’re doing fine. Hope you’re well, too.

Select one of the options below:
a) Merry Christmas! The Schmidts

b) Happy Hanukkah! The Schmidts
c) Have a swell Kwanzaa! The Schmidts
d) Happy Holidays! The Schmidts

SECTION B
You’ve decided to read section B. We commend you for your good taste and intelligence. You have so much more going for you than those who just read section A.


The past year has brought one major change to the “Schmidt House “. Susan has gone back to work and we have traded a lot of the daily chores around the house, along with the responsibility of the Family Christmas Letter.

I didn’t think writing this letter would be that difficult. I thought all I had to do was Google “Family Christmas Form Letter “ and change the kids names, ages, and activities, and send out the letter.

How different can life be in suburbia?

What I found surprised me, because I have always enjoyed finding out what friends and family have done in the past year and have always been happy to hear that things are going well.

It appears that there are a large number of people who do not care to receive these letters because they believe that the letters contain too much bragging about their family and the previous year.

So, I have decided to write this Christmas Letter to the people who don't care for happy letters. Instead of bragging about how great our past year has been, I have listed all the negative aspects of the past year.

I have bought into my present company, a small engineering and surveying firm that does residential development. This was just in time for to be part of the largest housing recession in the last 60 years. Revenue was down about 30 percent in 2007 and is expected to be down another 30 percent in 2008.


Susan has begun working again and is employed as an independent contractor. Susan doesn’t really like working EVERY SINGLE DAY and would sometimes rather sleep in and be at home with the kids or playing tennis. Susan has been blogging over the past year about our family’s adventures and her blog can be found at http://schmidthouse-maplegrove.blogspot.com/

Allison is nine years old and is in the 4th Grade. Allison is the tallest child in the 4th grade and hates it. Allison spends most of her free time arguing and fighting with her brother and whining about doing simple chores.

Joe is five years old and is in kindergarten. Joe plays hockey and has worked his way up from the worst skater on the team to top of the bottom five skaters. Joe also spends most of his time arguing and fighting with his sister.

Our dog Mia barks too much. She also continues to go through the garbage and make a mess of the house.

Merry #*&(@*% Christmas!
The Schmidts

Comments

Anonymous said…
Dave and I both want to thank you for a great belly laugh! Yea Dan!!!

Jody
bobbione8y said…
he he he he he.

thanks for the first taste of writing from your lovely husband!

that was awesome, heck, i would send it out. ps. glad to notice i'm not the only one noticing the whole "christmas war" thing :) what kind of silliness is that?
carey said…
i say send it. dan rocks.
Anonymous said…
I love it - send it out!!
Sue
Anonymous said…
You MUST send it - You will not believe the phone calls you'll get from people...It'll be a huge hit and make everyone smile after a day of sitting in traffic, standing in line to buy a gift that isn't in stock, or an afternoon of listening to their kid whine (and whine and whine...).
Merry Christmas, Dan - YOU ROCK!

nik
Chris said…
Ah honesty, that is what I lov about this letter. That's what a lot of Christmas letters lack. Life can not possibly be that perfect for everyone, so I can appreciate this type of humorous honest letter. Great job, Dan!
K~ said…
This was GREAT!! I am stealing the idea, for sure!! K~

Popular posts from this blog

50 is the new 40

There is hope - I realized today that Madonna is going to be 50 in like 3 months - crazy. 50. Have you seen her lately? She looks amazing and is proof that 50 is the new 40 or in her case 35. Here is her most recent song w/Justin Timberlake, 4 Minutes. Not gonna win a Grammy, but makes me want to start doing yoga, I would give anything for arms like that.

Pleased as punch

We got our new vacuum cleaner last night. The home office was kind enough to pick one up along with our PF Chang's takeout. Take out Chinese on Valentine's is a tradition. Anyhoo, as you can see from the photo we basically sucked up an entire Pomeranian in our upstairs family room. I don't know if I should be embarrassed or pleased. I mean we just vacuumed on Monday with the Hoover and I knew it wasn't picking up everything, but this is ridiculous. The home office was so impressed with the Animal he went downstairs and vacuumed up another canine in the family room down there. I am still trying to figure out all of the gadgets on the machine. I seriously cannot figure out how to attach the stair cleaner. It is really funky how the thing is put together, efficient, but funky. I also for the life of me cannot figure out the directions. I dislike how all European companies, Dyson (UK), IKEA (Sweden) just show you pictures. I always thought I was a visual person, but I am b

What's your playlist?

Over the holidays I began the task of cleaning out my iPod. Some of the music I am proud to say I listen to and then there are the cringe worthy tunes I am too embarrassed to admit. In all there are 2,789 songs on my iPod (down from 3,643). I am amazed, how could I possibly listen to or know nearly 4,000 songs? Obviously the iPod has taken on a life of its own. While scrolling through the bazillion songs I began to think about all of these Celebrity playlists out on iTunes which are supposed to define who the person is in song and how the music shaped their lives. Some of the lists are lame and try to make the person sound more interesting and deeper than who they really are. Other lists have introduced me to music I would have never listened to before which I love, plus they sometimes give you a glimpse to moments in their lives. I am going to give my non-celebrity, hopefully non-lame playlist a shot. Thanks for letting me indulge. Here is my life (so far) in song: Dancing Queen - AB