Skip to main content

Did someone step on a cat?

We are entering uncharted territory here at the Schmidt House since AE decided that she wanted to join the band because choir is "painful" and the clarinet is way cooler.

About two weeks ago we went to the district sponsored "pick your instrument" night where my former instrument of choice (clarinet) was chosen by our pre-teen. After the meeting I immediately called my dad to see if he would be able to locate said clarinet for his granddaughter to try out.

He called last week informing me that it was nowhere to be found and I would need to go rent one for the time being until the woodwind was located.

This week has been crazier than usual and I completely forgot everything about the clarinet until...

Tonight at 7:08pm AE mentioned, "You know I have band tomorrow."

Oh crap. So began the calling to music stores that I could remember from the parent's night and by 7:25pm a clarinet had been located. So we got in the car and headed to A to G Music.

We waited awhile for a fellow 6th grader and his mother to secure his sax, then AE and I sat down for the "transaction".

The owner said to me, "You must be Susan and this must be AE."

AE sat down and began to fill out an address label for her clarinet.

I looked down at the finished product. She wrote:

Name: AE Schmidt #38
Address: Inland Ln #9830
City: MG MN 55311
Phone: 736-580-7167

"AE what is that?" I asked.

"My info."

"Really, what is with the #38? Plus we don't live at #9830 and I have never seen that phone number before."

Silence.

"Wow. Huh." Is all I got from our daughter. "I guess I put the end of dad's phone number as our house number cause I couldn't remember what the number was and we have a 9,8, and 0 in our house number and I think that the phone number is kinda maybe all of our numbers combined."

She added, "Oh, and #38. That is my number at school."

The store owner looked at AE and said, "Did you just move?"

AE stated, "Oh no. I have lived in my house my whole life."

I think the look on the guy's face pretty much conveyed his concern for his instrument that he was renting to us and whether or not he would ever see it again.

"Here, why don't you fill out another label."

"OK," AE obliged. This time she got it right.

I don't think that I am ready for this whole teenage thing and how they completely forget everything.

When we left I asked AE what happened, "I don't know - guess I had a brain-freeze. Oh wait, Coach Ron calls it a brain-fart."

We got home and put the clarinet together, all I could be reminded of was Ferris Bueller and his declaration of "I've never had one lesson."

However think JG said it best after his sister's first attempt...

He walked away saying, "Yeah, I don't think Squidward has anything to worry about."

Comments

Karen said…
You are not alone!

The Monkey is playing the Alto Sax, the hubby is irritated because we have a $400 drum set sitting in the basement, Molly goes into hiding whenever it comes out and Bubba keeps muttering something about dying Moose.
Anonymous said…
no reeded instruments here, girls...
just the mwah, MwaH, MWAHHHH of T's trombone (and the icky sound of him emptying the spit in the bathtub.. ugh.)
Karen said…
Yes, I guess I should be thankful that it's not the trombone, but I'm having trouble being thankful in this particular endeavor.

I meant dying moose, not dying Moose.

:-)
carey said…
oh, susan i missed you. this is a great story.

i am not looking forward to instruments.

Popular posts from this blog

50 is the new 40

There is hope - I realized today that Madonna is going to be 50 in like 3 months - crazy. 50. Have you seen her lately? She looks amazing and is proof that 50 is the new 40 or in her case 35. Here is her most recent song w/Justin Timberlake, 4 Minutes. Not gonna win a Grammy, but makes me want to start doing yoga, I would give anything for arms like that.

What's your playlist?

Over the holidays I began the task of cleaning out my iPod. Some of the music I am proud to say I listen to and then there are the cringe worthy tunes I am too embarrassed to admit. In all there are 2,789 songs on my iPod (down from 3,643). I am amazed, how could I possibly listen to or know nearly 4,000 songs? Obviously the iPod has taken on a life of its own. While scrolling through the bazillion songs I began to think about all of these Celebrity playlists out on iTunes which are supposed to define who the person is in song and how the music shaped their lives. Some of the lists are lame and try to make the person sound more interesting and deeper than who they really are. Other lists have introduced me to music I would have never listened to before which I love, plus they sometimes give you a glimpse to moments in their lives. I am going to give my non-celebrity, hopefully non-lame playlist a shot. Thanks for letting me indulge. Here is my life (so far) in song: Dancing Queen - AB