Skip to main content

Desiderata

At my mom and dad's house there is this plaque (I guess you would call it a plaque) that hangs on the wall in the living room. It has been ever present in my life for as long as I can remember.

The plaque was made by my uncle, I guess during a woodworking phase and is quite well made. My uncle was and still is a perfectionist and it is perfect. On the plaque there is what seems like a lot of words when you are a kid.

When I would get in trouble and have to take a break I would sit and read this to pass the time, eventually I memorized it pretty much word for word - not because I was naughty all of the time, but rather because I wanted to. It was a challenge to see if I could do it.

I can't remember the whole thing now, however whenever I start out a walk by myself I find the words coming easy almost like a little chant, "Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence."

It is a habit, however tonight was reminded that I wanted to see if I could remember the rules to life and Googled it and never realized it was written by a man, an attorney from Indiana named Max Ehrmann. He wrote it in 1927, however the poem did not gain momentum until after his death.

It is rules for life, and as I read I am reminded that I don't always follow the rules, but it is good to have the little bird in your ear with Gigi's voice giving you a little help now and then. So tonight, I will select some of the pieces I want to work on in 2010 and memorize the words and recite to myself on cold winter nights when I walk in the snow.

Desiderata

Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible without surrender
be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
and listen to others,
even the dull and the ignorant;they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons,
they are vexations to the spirit.
If you compare yourself with others,
you may become vain and bitter;
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.

Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs;
for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
many persons strive for high ideals;
and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself.
Especially, do not feign affection.
Neither be cynical about love;
for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment
is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years,
gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
Beyond a wholesome discipline,
be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God,
whatever you conceive Him to be,
and whatever your labors and aspirations,
in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Be cheerful.
Strive to be happy.

Max Ehrmann, Desiderata, 1927

Comments

DeAnn said…
very well said. love it, susan.
Karen said…
My mom had one of these, too! The poem was on some kind of parchment that had been singed around the edges and then mod-podged to a wooden board. It's probably at the house somewhere, I'll have to ask about it. I think hers was a bit abbreviated, but I do remember most of the lines. For years it resided in the downstairs bathroom, so, uh, I had plenty of time to memorize it. Thanks for the good memories!
carey said…
avoid loud and obnoxious people? that leaves out everyone at the bar.

oh. i get it.
bobbione8y said…
carey, you have made me laugh out loud TWICE today with your observations ;)

Popular posts from this blog

50 is the new 40

There is hope - I realized today that Madonna is going to be 50 in like 3 months - crazy. 50. Have you seen her lately? She looks amazing and is proof that 50 is the new 40 or in her case 35. Here is her most recent song w/Justin Timberlake, 4 Minutes. Not gonna win a Grammy, but makes me want to start doing yoga, I would give anything for arms like that.

Pleased as punch

We got our new vacuum cleaner last night. The home office was kind enough to pick one up along with our PF Chang's takeout. Take out Chinese on Valentine's is a tradition. Anyhoo, as you can see from the photo we basically sucked up an entire Pomeranian in our upstairs family room. I don't know if I should be embarrassed or pleased. I mean we just vacuumed on Monday with the Hoover and I knew it wasn't picking up everything, but this is ridiculous. The home office was so impressed with the Animal he went downstairs and vacuumed up another canine in the family room down there. I am still trying to figure out all of the gadgets on the machine. I seriously cannot figure out how to attach the stair cleaner. It is really funky how the thing is put together, efficient, but funky. I also for the life of me cannot figure out the directions. I dislike how all European companies, Dyson (UK), IKEA (Sweden) just show you pictures. I always thought I was a visual person, but I am b

Gainfully employed

I heard back last night from Cargill , I start back into the world of the gainfully employed as an independent contractor on October 8 th . My old client, who will now be my new client, Jeff wrote: I'm thrilled we get to work together again. This is the most important project our business unit has taken on in a lot of years so I feel a lot better knowing you're going to be part of it. OK now I'm nervous. Eeek - the most important project? Whoa, better bring the A game, but you know I am excited - scared - but am ready to go. I have so much to do before the 8 th , gotta get the list together to make the most of my kid free week (now that litte man is at daycare in the a.m.). Let's see: 1) Paint basement. 2) Purge house of clutter - how can we accumulate this much crap? 3) Goodwill and library drop off - Maple Grove Library is taking donations until Oct. 6 th !!! 4) Get the yard ready for winter - should I plant more bulbs? 5) Put basement back together - IKEA run ma