Skip to main content

A year ago this week.

A year ago this week I was summoned for jury duty. Upon arrival on the first day, prospective jurors were told there were 60+ cases in the queue for the week. Two of the 60 were murder.

I planned to have a few days to catch up on reading while waiting for a case. Of course, things didn't work out as I had planned. My name was called with 50 others within the first hour for one of the two murder cases.

The whole jury selection process is fascinating. It began in the courtroom with the potential jurors receiving an explanation of the charges and process, while the defendant sat before us. First degree murder, second degree sale of illegal substance. It was surreal to be sitting a few feet away from a man accused of taking another's life. We were asked to complete pages of questions; do you believe this, do you believe in that. The questions made you think and state your beliefs about things which had never crossed my mind.

I returned the next day hopeful I would go back to the prospective juror pool and sit on a case about someone's property line dispute, however I left as Juror #9 in the case of the State of MN versus the defendant for the murder of a man from New Mexico during a drug deal gone very bad.

When the trial began I realized during opening statements I had actually watched this case on TV the day it happened and here I was now sitting on the jury. The trial did go quickly and I learned a great deal about our legal process and ultimately realized that the system does work.

I was shocked by the case which was presented by the State of MN and how many holes there were from witnesses to evidence. The jury, according to the prosecution, was supposed to find the defendant guilty because they told us he did it. All in all, it appeared that the man being tried for the murder was the easiest target to charge.

The police and prosecutors made up their mind that they had their man and stopped pursuing other suspects which became evident during defense cross-examination. Based upon the information presented at trial, the defendant appeared to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. He wasn't a good man, he was a drug dealer, however I believed he did not kill anyone.

In the end, the defendant was acquitted of all charges and he walked out of the courtroom a free man after eight months behind bars awaiting his trial. About six months ago, a man at the scene of the shooting actually pleaded guilty of second degree murder and is now serving three years.

It has been a year, but I can honestly say that I think about this experience every day. I wonder what became of the suspect, has he changed his life around? Did he understand that he was given a second chance? It is a daunting task to know that you and your peers have the power to send a young man away for the rest of his life. It truly affected me. It bothers me that I really do not know beyond a reasonable doubt what really happened that hot summer day in north Minneapolis, how many lives were affected and will never be the same.

Each night when I watch the news and hear that there has been a shooting or an arrest, I pray that the name I hear is not that of the man we believed was not guilty.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Wow Susan, that was a powerful story! I can't imagine having that kind of responsibilty. Not at all like TV!
carey said…
I grumbled about being on jury duty as well, but in the end, I have to admit it is something every American should take part in. Even on Thanksgiving week :)

Popular posts from this blog

50 is the new 40

There is hope - I realized today that Madonna is going to be 50 in like 3 months - crazy. 50. Have you seen her lately? She looks amazing and is proof that 50 is the new 40 or in her case 35. Here is her most recent song w/Justin Timberlake, 4 Minutes. Not gonna win a Grammy, but makes me want to start doing yoga, I would give anything for arms like that.

Pleased as punch

We got our new vacuum cleaner last night. The home office was kind enough to pick one up along with our PF Chang's takeout. Take out Chinese on Valentine's is a tradition. Anyhoo, as you can see from the photo we basically sucked up an entire Pomeranian in our upstairs family room. I don't know if I should be embarrassed or pleased. I mean we just vacuumed on Monday with the Hoover and I knew it wasn't picking up everything, but this is ridiculous. The home office was so impressed with the Animal he went downstairs and vacuumed up another canine in the family room down there. I am still trying to figure out all of the gadgets on the machine. I seriously cannot figure out how to attach the stair cleaner. It is really funky how the thing is put together, efficient, but funky. I also for the life of me cannot figure out the directions. I dislike how all European companies, Dyson (UK), IKEA (Sweden) just show you pictures. I always thought I was a visual person, but I am b

So proud

When we arrived home from vacation there was an envelope from AE's school district among the piles of magazines and bills. I opened the envelope fully expecting to find information about a District 279 fundraiser. Instead the letter began with, "To the Family of AE: Congratulations! AE has been selected to be the recipient of an Educational Shareholder Award at the District 279 Foundation annual Investment in Youth event." I couldn't comprehend the letter at first and had to stop and re-read the first sentence again. There was a corresponding essay: AE is a 3rd grader at Weaver Lake Elementary. In her 3rd grade classroom there are several children with Autism whom she has taken under her wing. Last year she asked her mother to request a classroom with students from the Connect program. Some of the things AE has done to help these students are she sits by them during instruction time and walks them through the directions, she helps them fill out their assignment noteb