Skip to main content

So many books, so little time

I like to read, a lot. I think that on average I go through at least a book if not two or three a week when I am really in the zone.

I have always loved reading, in fact my dream as a child was to be locked in the Rapid City Public Library overnight. They used to have this really cool Alice in Wonderland theme and I was always in awe. How sick is that?

AE has recently embraced reading, which I could not be happier about. She has had a book in her hand every spare minute the past month.

Last night we were reading her latest book, "The Secret Order of the Gumm Street Girls" by Elsie Primavera. It is really cute, a little Lemony Snicket, a little Frank L. Baum. Imagine that the Gumm is from Francis Gumm (aka Judy Garland).

While we took a little break I told AE how happy I was that she loved to read.

"I don't like reading. At all," she said.

I was surprised, "What? Why have you had your nose in a book every day?"

"I only like it because dad is paying me if I finish seven books this month."

I should have known. Our daughter is shrewd. I know she likes to strike a deal before she willingly does anything. She is going to be quite the force to be reckoned with. I feel bad for corporate America (if that is the path she chooses) and her future husband.

Her true nature came to light this summer at my sister's house. My sister wanted to borrow AE's favorite CD, which she wasn't too happy about.

"You can borrow it if you pay me $10." AE said.

"What?" my sister replied. "I am not going to pay you $10 to borrow a CD."

"Fine." AE countered. "$12 then."

My sister borrowed the CD free of charge and AE learned that you cannot dicker with family when it comes to music purchased by your parents.

Gotta go, I have a tennis match in the a.m. and need to get some sleep. Plus, I want to get started on my new book, "Vince and Joy" by Lisa Jewell.

POKER UPDATE
On a side note, the Schmidts did very well at the Poker tourney the other night. The home office finished third and I took ninth. We had some good laughs and saw quite a few of our friends.

The worst part was we didn't get home until 3:00 a.m. We are getting too old for that more than once a year. Thank goodness my mom and aunt were kind enough to have a sleepover at my aunt's with the kids and dog so we were able to recover. Thanks guys!


Comments

Chris said…
I love it, your daughter is a smart cookie!
carey said…
From one bookwork to another, I can totally relate. Books are almost dangerous in my world because they sidetrack me from the things I should be doing. I have put new restrictions in order: I have to earn my book time with exercise. How's that for motivation?
Anonymous said…
Hey, Susan! I had that exact same dream as a child, and it just about broke my heart last year when I went into the newly-remodeled, vastly-improved, Alice-free Rapid City Public Library. Man, you brought back some good memories. I used to leave that library with the books stacked so high in my arms that I couldn't see over them. Aaahhhh, the good 'ol days.

Popular posts from this blog

50 is the new 40

There is hope - I realized today that Madonna is going to be 50 in like 3 months - crazy. 50. Have you seen her lately? She looks amazing and is proof that 50 is the new 40 or in her case 35. Here is her most recent song w/Justin Timberlake, 4 Minutes. Not gonna win a Grammy, but makes me want to start doing yoga, I would give anything for arms like that.

Pleased as punch

We got our new vacuum cleaner last night. The home office was kind enough to pick one up along with our PF Chang's takeout. Take out Chinese on Valentine's is a tradition. Anyhoo, as you can see from the photo we basically sucked up an entire Pomeranian in our upstairs family room. I don't know if I should be embarrassed or pleased. I mean we just vacuumed on Monday with the Hoover and I knew it wasn't picking up everything, but this is ridiculous. The home office was so impressed with the Animal he went downstairs and vacuumed up another canine in the family room down there. I am still trying to figure out all of the gadgets on the machine. I seriously cannot figure out how to attach the stair cleaner. It is really funky how the thing is put together, efficient, but funky. I also for the life of me cannot figure out the directions. I dislike how all European companies, Dyson (UK), IKEA (Sweden) just show you pictures. I always thought I was a visual person, but I am b

What's your playlist?

Over the holidays I began the task of cleaning out my iPod. Some of the music I am proud to say I listen to and then there are the cringe worthy tunes I am too embarrassed to admit. In all there are 2,789 songs on my iPod (down from 3,643). I am amazed, how could I possibly listen to or know nearly 4,000 songs? Obviously the iPod has taken on a life of its own. While scrolling through the bazillion songs I began to think about all of these Celebrity playlists out on iTunes which are supposed to define who the person is in song and how the music shaped their lives. Some of the lists are lame and try to make the person sound more interesting and deeper than who they really are. Other lists have introduced me to music I would have never listened to before which I love, plus they sometimes give you a glimpse to moments in their lives. I am going to give my non-celebrity, hopefully non-lame playlist a shot. Thanks for letting me indulge. Here is my life (so far) in song: Dancing Queen - AB