Skip to main content

Full circle

I have been anticipating a new vehicle purchase for quite some time having thought I've had quite enough of the minivan scene. Don't get me wrong I have a completely tricked out family truckster, but you just do not get any respect in a van here in the Cities. I was anxiously anticipating purchasing our new Tahoe/Yukon and watching everyone get out of my way when I came through town.

Today I had a little epiphany. I finally came to the realization I must continue my minivan driving mama stint at least for a couple more years, sigh.

We went and drove the pretty, shiny Yukon this morning and by the time we left I had come full circle on the minivan thing. Our family needs the ease of a van right now in our life, I love not having to open doors for multiple children, dogs or groceries, not really having to worry about slamming little fingers in big doors and not having to get out in order to let someone into the 3rd row of seats. Also I couldn't fathom trying to go to the grocery store with many children and needing to put groceries in the back of the Yukon - there isn't any room unless you put down the 3rd row of seats.

I really think DLS was getting a bit nervous about fitting a boat, a Suburban and a Yukon all in our garage, plus the decked out minivan is nearly half the price of the pretty, pretty Yukon. Minivan = more tennis :-)

The kids love the van, let me re-state that. JG really loves the van. When I told little man we were getting rid of it he started crying. He told me that he has only had that one car his "whole life" - all 5 years of it.

AE could care less about what gets her from point A to point B, just as long as there is a TV. How sad is that? Our children cannot even begin to imagine a car with NO TV. Blasphemy. I told them when daddy and I were kids only the really nice cars had air conditioning and maybe a tape deck, more than likely 8 track. AE looked at me like DLS and I were the most deprived people ever to walk the earth, "how sad" is all she managed to get out.

Sad indeed. We will probably pick up the new truckster this week if we can get out of our old lease sooner than August and I will need to wait on gaining the respect of my fellow Minnesota drivers for a few more years...

Comments

bobbione8y said…
well, you have the respect of a sensible South Dakotan ;)

ha.

when does this gene kick in exactly anyway? the one that says "yeah, i really want that, but it would be better to do this..."

i am hoping and praying that SOME person walks up to you and says

"that's a ROCKIN minivan!"

:)
Anonymous said…
I totally understand your need for the mini-van, but I, who have not started the carpooling kids thing yet, will be perfectly content to drive my beautiful truck for as long as it goes. E tried to get me to trade my Suburban for his parent's Lexus SUV so that they wouldn't have to worry about beating their's up on their 7 mile dirt road. My response was, "Why would you want to take away the one thing in my life that I do not complain about?" Case closed.

Luci
Karen said…
Well, two weeks of Suburban gas mileage and you have my utmost respect. Between the sticker price savings and the gas savings, you should get to play all the tennis your little heart desires.

Popular posts from this blog

50 is the new 40

There is hope - I realized today that Madonna is going to be 50 in like 3 months - crazy. 50. Have you seen her lately? She looks amazing and is proof that 50 is the new 40 or in her case 35. Here is her most recent song w/Justin Timberlake, 4 Minutes. Not gonna win a Grammy, but makes me want to start doing yoga, I would give anything for arms like that.

Gainfully employed

I heard back last night from Cargill , I start back into the world of the gainfully employed as an independent contractor on October 8 th . My old client, who will now be my new client, Jeff wrote: I'm thrilled we get to work together again. This is the most important project our business unit has taken on in a lot of years so I feel a lot better knowing you're going to be part of it. OK now I'm nervous. Eeek - the most important project? Whoa, better bring the A game, but you know I am excited - scared - but am ready to go. I have so much to do before the 8 th , gotta get the list together to make the most of my kid free week (now that litte man is at daycare in the a.m.). Let's see: 1) Paint basement. 2) Purge house of clutter - how can we accumulate this much crap? 3) Goodwill and library drop off - Maple Grove Library is taking donations until Oct. 6 th !!! 4) Get the yard ready for winter - should I plant more bulbs? 5) Put basement back together - IKEA run ma

Pleased as punch

We got our new vacuum cleaner last night. The home office was kind enough to pick one up along with our PF Chang's takeout. Take out Chinese on Valentine's is a tradition. Anyhoo, as you can see from the photo we basically sucked up an entire Pomeranian in our upstairs family room. I don't know if I should be embarrassed or pleased. I mean we just vacuumed on Monday with the Hoover and I knew it wasn't picking up everything, but this is ridiculous. The home office was so impressed with the Animal he went downstairs and vacuumed up another canine in the family room down there. I am still trying to figure out all of the gadgets on the machine. I seriously cannot figure out how to attach the stair cleaner. It is really funky how the thing is put together, efficient, but funky. I also for the life of me cannot figure out the directions. I dislike how all European companies, Dyson (UK), IKEA (Sweden) just show you pictures. I always thought I was a visual person, but I am b