Skip to main content

Gainfully employed

I heard back last night from Cargill, I start back into the world of the gainfully employed as an independent contractor on October 8th. My old client, who will now be my new client, Jeff wrote:

I'm thrilled we get to work together again. This is the most important project our business unit has taken on in a lot of years so I feel a lot better knowing you're going to be part of it.

OK now I'm nervous. Eeek - the most important project? Whoa, better bring the A game, but you know I am excited - scared - but am ready to go.

I have so much to do before the 8th, gotta get the list together to make the most of my kid free week (now that litte man is at daycare in the a.m.).

Let's see:
1) Paint basement.
2) Purge house of clutter - how can we accumulate this much crap?
3) Goodwill and library drop off - Maple Grove Library is taking donations until Oct. 6th!!!
4) Get the yard ready for winter - should I plant more bulbs?
5) Put basement back together - IKEA run may be needed.
6) Talk to school about not chairing Turkey Bingo - I think Turkeys may do me in this year.
7) Is it too early to decorate for Christmas? It would be really helpful if I could just get that out of the way considering last year it took me three bloody days to accomplish the task.
8) Get the dishwasher fixed, that is if it is still leaking. Every time I call Sears out it stops and I have to still pay the $65 for the call.
9) Have Comcast come out and fix/upgrade phones/cable.
10) Maybe play one last round of Thursday tennis with my favoritest partner Pat.
11) Read book club book.
12) Make/freeze dinners for next month, so while the home office is doing his best Michael Keaton as Mr. Mom imitation he won't have to start from scratch.
13) If there is anything I left off, please add.

Comments

Karen said…
Uh....you forgot:
1. sit around and enjoy peace and quiet.
2. sit around and drink coffee with a friend.
Anonymous said…
You're crazy, Susan - Don't paint the basement! (you know your kids will get in some sort of a food fight, and it will all be for nothing anyway. And if it bugs you that much, hang out upstairs so you don't have to look at it)...I agree with Karen - Take a load off! :-) (and tell Jeff to take a flying leap if he pulls any of those fast ones he used to do. I still think he was high when some of those "Pair Up for Power" promos came out. (ugh)

nik
Chris said…
Congratulations on the job! I can't remember what line of work you are in though, can you enlighten me?
carey said…
no painting(ugh), no christmas decorations (maybe some pumpkins instead), no planting bulbs (wait til spring, do some annuals instead), no pre-worrying about things you cannot control and no biting off more than you can sanely chew.

i like the list thing though. lists are good.
bobbione8y said…
congrats Susan.

welcome to the world of "work from home" women.

although i imagine your world will be quite abit different than mine, there are plenty of us out here (and some with kids who know JUST what you mean) that are waiting to hear your stories and support you..

and don't worry about "still having it."

"it" cannot be taken from you, and you are more than ready for the task!!!
Karen said…
3. blog.
Anonymous said…
Susan, I have really enjoyed reading your blog since your Mom told me about it. You are a gifted writer and should really write a book. The blog about your mom's birthday was so beautiful I cried. Cousin Sue (and Bob too)
Susan said…
Wow guys.

Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions with how I should spend my last week of freedom. I have taken your advice thus far and have NOT touched a paint brush. However, the calico basement must be completed some day.

Also, thank you for the supportive comments from all of you.

Thanks Sue for the writing the book comment, it means a lot especially from a English teacher! :-)I've thought about the book thing, just need to sit down and do it. Too many things floating around in my head, although I think I have enough material from the home life.
Susan said…
Sue - was thinking about English/writing and wrote English teacher, whoops.

Another thing to add to the list - get more sleep.

Popular posts from this blog

50 is the new 40

There is hope - I realized today that Madonna is going to be 50 in like 3 months - crazy. 50. Have you seen her lately? She looks amazing and is proof that 50 is the new 40 or in her case 35. Here is her most recent song w/Justin Timberlake, 4 Minutes. Not gonna win a Grammy, but makes me want to start doing yoga, I would give anything for arms like that.

Pleased as punch

We got our new vacuum cleaner last night. The home office was kind enough to pick one up along with our PF Chang's takeout. Take out Chinese on Valentine's is a tradition. Anyhoo, as you can see from the photo we basically sucked up an entire Pomeranian in our upstairs family room. I don't know if I should be embarrassed or pleased. I mean we just vacuumed on Monday with the Hoover and I knew it wasn't picking up everything, but this is ridiculous. The home office was so impressed with the Animal he went downstairs and vacuumed up another canine in the family room down there. I am still trying to figure out all of the gadgets on the machine. I seriously cannot figure out how to attach the stair cleaner. It is really funky how the thing is put together, efficient, but funky. I also for the life of me cannot figure out the directions. I dislike how all European companies, Dyson (UK), IKEA (Sweden) just show you pictures. I always thought I was a visual person, but I am b