Skip to main content

Bus 101

There are unspoken rules when it comes to riding the bus to school, I unfortunately never really got to experience true bus ridership when I was a child. We lived within walking distance to Meadowbrook Elementary (actually it was .84 miles according to MapQuest) so my friends and I didn't get to enjoy all that goes with taking school transportation. We instead got to experience walking which included, but was not limited to: falling down hills, being chased by small dogs and wandering through culverts and cemeteries on our way to school.

My sister and I instead had to beg mom to let us take swimming lessons at the YMCA in downtown Rapid City so we could experience riding a bus. All we really ended up with was pneumonia (it was the winter when we took our lessons) and the knowledge of how to do the sidestroke, which I truly believe is an extinct swimming stroke.

Anywho...

Now that little man has started kindergarten, both of our children take the bus to/from school and my how their experiences have varied.

For AE the bus has been fun, albeit painful at times. We have had musical seats with a couple of her friends which leads to elementary angst, but overall it has been positive. Each year she moves a little farther back to big kid territory.

The 6th graders get the really cool back seats and the kindergartners must sit in the front or with a sibling. I have worried a bit about little man and the inevitability that he may actually have to sit with his sister. I was having flashbacks to my sister and I having to do anything together and my father worrying we would make completes asses out of ourselves. I too have this fear with our children - they just can't control themselves when it comes to their sibling and the opportunities for public humiliation in front of the entire neighborhood really are endless on the bus.

I guess all of my worrying may have been for naught. JG has completely circumvented the whole bus hierarchy thing. He has somehow weaseled his way to the back of the bus and is sitting with the 6th graders which has been unheard of, however which is now possible thanks to unassigned seating.

AE is a bit miffed that he hasn't put in his bus dues, but she will get over it. I am just waiting for the day when she gets in the back of the bus and may have to ask her "little" brother for a seat.

Comments

carey said…
oh, sus, did you open up a can of worms. the bus ride is a hot topic between bobbi and i...thanks for reminding her. doh.
bobbione8y said…
yeah.

sometime we'll tell you the story about me and carey and the bus, susan.

let's just say we would NOT be friends if we had started out life as bus mates :)


he he.
Chris said…
OK, now I HAVE to hear that story. Tell!

Popular posts from this blog

50 is the new 40

There is hope - I realized today that Madonna is going to be 50 in like 3 months - crazy. 50. Have you seen her lately? She looks amazing and is proof that 50 is the new 40 or in her case 35. Here is her most recent song w/Justin Timberlake, 4 Minutes. Not gonna win a Grammy, but makes me want to start doing yoga, I would give anything for arms like that.

Pleased as punch

We got our new vacuum cleaner last night. The home office was kind enough to pick one up along with our PF Chang's takeout. Take out Chinese on Valentine's is a tradition. Anyhoo, as you can see from the photo we basically sucked up an entire Pomeranian in our upstairs family room. I don't know if I should be embarrassed or pleased. I mean we just vacuumed on Monday with the Hoover and I knew it wasn't picking up everything, but this is ridiculous. The home office was so impressed with the Animal he went downstairs and vacuumed up another canine in the family room down there. I am still trying to figure out all of the gadgets on the machine. I seriously cannot figure out how to attach the stair cleaner. It is really funky how the thing is put together, efficient, but funky. I also for the life of me cannot figure out the directions. I dislike how all European companies, Dyson (UK), IKEA (Sweden) just show you pictures. I always thought I was a visual person, but I am b

Gainfully employed

I heard back last night from Cargill , I start back into the world of the gainfully employed as an independent contractor on October 8 th . My old client, who will now be my new client, Jeff wrote: I'm thrilled we get to work together again. This is the most important project our business unit has taken on in a lot of years so I feel a lot better knowing you're going to be part of it. OK now I'm nervous. Eeek - the most important project? Whoa, better bring the A game, but you know I am excited - scared - but am ready to go. I have so much to do before the 8 th , gotta get the list together to make the most of my kid free week (now that litte man is at daycare in the a.m.). Let's see: 1) Paint basement. 2) Purge house of clutter - how can we accumulate this much crap? 3) Goodwill and library drop off - Maple Grove Library is taking donations until Oct. 6 th !!! 4) Get the yard ready for winter - should I plant more bulbs? 5) Put basement back together - IKEA run ma