Skip to main content

4 July 1987

Well, it's the 4th of July and I am sitting here halfway around the world. Happy Birthday America! The more I see of this country, I know I wouldn't want to live anywhere else than the U.S. I like the openness of home here you have no privacy.

I feel so out of it. I don't even know what's going on in the world. Today is the last day of Wimbledon and I don't even know who is in the finals! Now that's sad. I have to go to a tea ceremony and flower arrangement lesson today sometime. I think Yuki is going too. The sun is finally shining - I can't believe it.

I am so glad I have this journal - I don't know what I'd do without it. This book is my best friend right now - sometimes I can't wait to get home to write in it. Ten years from now I'll look back and read this and probably laugh at how stupid I was. I wonder where I'll be in 1997? I'll be 26 - that is too scary to think of, I don't think I want to know.

Did I mention I can't stand being so close to all of these other people? I couldn't live my whole life like this. I can't wait to get home and be able to sit with no one else within 20 feet of me. Japan is so different. I don't understand why I had a totally different picture in my mind of what it would be like. I wish I could stand out in the middle of nowhere all by myself.

Well I better get showered before this tea thing. Oh, just found out who is in the men's final - Ivan Lendl and Pat Cash. I bet Ivan wins. I am sad Boris Becker didn't make it.

Only 46 days until I go home to stand in a field - by myself.

Comments

Karen said…
Wow, Susan. Pretty cool to go back in your own mind that way. You've insipired me. I'm at my parents' house and will try to dig up ten or so old purple notebooks that served as my teenage journals.

Popular posts from this blog

50 is the new 40

There is hope - I realized today that Madonna is going to be 50 in like 3 months - crazy. 50. Have you seen her lately? She looks amazing and is proof that 50 is the new 40 or in her case 35. Here is her most recent song w/Justin Timberlake, 4 Minutes. Not gonna win a Grammy, but makes me want to start doing yoga, I would give anything for arms like that.

What's your playlist?

Over the holidays I began the task of cleaning out my iPod. Some of the music I am proud to say I listen to and then there are the cringe worthy tunes I am too embarrassed to admit. In all there are 2,789 songs on my iPod (down from 3,643). I am amazed, how could I possibly listen to or know nearly 4,000 songs? Obviously the iPod has taken on a life of its own. While scrolling through the bazillion songs I began to think about all of these Celebrity playlists out on iTunes which are supposed to define who the person is in song and how the music shaped their lives. Some of the lists are lame and try to make the person sound more interesting and deeper than who they really are. Other lists have introduced me to music I would have never listened to before which I love, plus they sometimes give you a glimpse to moments in their lives. I am going to give my non-celebrity, hopefully non-lame playlist a shot. Thanks for letting me indulge. Here is my life (so far) in song: Dancing Queen - AB