Skip to main content

$1,074.60

My grandma loved to laugh, and I honestly believe she is laughing right now after the adventure I have had trying to get the word out that she has moved on to a better place.

Gram wrote her obituary 20 years ago and asked that I "update" it once she passed, so yesterday morning I got up and started typing the hardcopy, manual typed pages into Word. Finally I decided to call the Aitkin Independent Age to check on when exactly I would need to submit it to make the deadline.

At 10:37 a.m. I called and found out that it was due by noon.

So I got to typing and updated all of the info and let it go off into cyberspace all 572 words telling of Gram's life. I gave them my credit card and they charged me $60.00 for the obituary in the weekly paper.Next step was pulling everything together for the Star Tribune. I knew I was going to need to scale it back a bit, but wanted to make sure I still captured many of the important events in her life. So, when all was said and done it came to 295 words.

I went online, submitted everything and decided to call to see how I should pay. I spoke with a very lovely woman named Irene and she was so very helpful. She informed me that they put the text into the layout and then call with a quote. I told her that sounded great and thanked her for her help.

Irene called 10 minutes later with the quote.

Irene: Hi Susan, I have your quote.

Susan: Great, I have my credit card here and I'm ready to go.

Irene: So, for two days the total will be $1,074.60.

Silence

Irene: Are you there?

Susan: You've got to be kidding.

Irene: Well it was 50 lines at $9.95 per line times two days is $1,074.60.

Susan: Wow, and I trimmed it back. So, tell me how do those people do it that take up a whole column? It has got to be more than the whole funeral.

Irene: Well, I don't know about that. Most of those people are Star Tribune employee's families.

Susan: I am going to need to think about this. I can't imagine my grandma would be very happy about me spending over $1,000 on her obituary.

Irene: I understand.

Susan: No I don't think you can understand the talking to my grandma will give me when I get to the other side if I spend $1000.00 on her obituary.

Comments

carey said…
susan you better check that. i think newspapers are required to submit a minimal obit for free, and extra lines cost a little more...but not $1,000 more. my grandpa's was $43.
perhaps irene was trying to sell you ad space?
bobbione8y said…
WOW.

that is crazy!

i am glad you got to write more than 295 words here. perhaps you should post her obit here, and just lead people to your blog in the paper :)
Susan said…
I double, triple checked the $ and the amount was correct. The Star Tribune doesn't do anything for free and they charge $9.95 per line. As Gigi would say highway robbery.
Karen said…
She is laughing, Susan, without a doubt!
Chris said…
That just floors me! It's not like they wrote the lines! Why should it cost that much just to print it. Did you end up printing it there?
K~ said…
oh dear. K~

Popular posts from this blog

50 is the new 40

There is hope - I realized today that Madonna is going to be 50 in like 3 months - crazy. 50. Have you seen her lately? She looks amazing and is proof that 50 is the new 40 or in her case 35. Here is her most recent song w/Justin Timberlake, 4 Minutes. Not gonna win a Grammy, but makes me want to start doing yoga, I would give anything for arms like that.

Pleased as punch

We got our new vacuum cleaner last night. The home office was kind enough to pick one up along with our PF Chang's takeout. Take out Chinese on Valentine's is a tradition. Anyhoo, as you can see from the photo we basically sucked up an entire Pomeranian in our upstairs family room. I don't know if I should be embarrassed or pleased. I mean we just vacuumed on Monday with the Hoover and I knew it wasn't picking up everything, but this is ridiculous. The home office was so impressed with the Animal he went downstairs and vacuumed up another canine in the family room down there. I am still trying to figure out all of the gadgets on the machine. I seriously cannot figure out how to attach the stair cleaner. It is really funky how the thing is put together, efficient, but funky. I also for the life of me cannot figure out the directions. I dislike how all European companies, Dyson (UK), IKEA (Sweden) just show you pictures. I always thought I was a visual person, but I am b

Gainfully employed

I heard back last night from Cargill , I start back into the world of the gainfully employed as an independent contractor on October 8 th . My old client, who will now be my new client, Jeff wrote: I'm thrilled we get to work together again. This is the most important project our business unit has taken on in a lot of years so I feel a lot better knowing you're going to be part of it. OK now I'm nervous. Eeek - the most important project? Whoa, better bring the A game, but you know I am excited - scared - but am ready to go. I have so much to do before the 8 th , gotta get the list together to make the most of my kid free week (now that litte man is at daycare in the a.m.). Let's see: 1) Paint basement. 2) Purge house of clutter - how can we accumulate this much crap? 3) Goodwill and library drop off - Maple Grove Library is taking donations until Oct. 6 th !!! 4) Get the yard ready for winter - should I plant more bulbs? 5) Put basement back together - IKEA run ma