Skip to main content

Oh, please tell me she didn't just say that

AE and I were asked to join a mother/daughter book club last summer. The members are old friends from Weaver Lake and her new friends from Rush Creek. It has been a great experience for both of us, she has her friends and I have met some new friends, really great women.

However, each month I have to hold my breath a little for fear of what might come out of my child's mouth. We have raised her to speak her mind for which I am very grateful, however we need to now work with her on filtering what she says/doesn't say. AE has no filter.

Example:
We read "When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit" and were having a discussion about how the family in the book had to flee Germany since the father (a newspaper writer) had opposed Hitler and the family went to Switzerland leaving her beloved pink rabbit behind.

One of the mothers asked, "Is there anyone in the world today you girls would compare to Hitler?" (looking for maybe Saddam Hussein...)

AE raises her hand enthusiastically, "I know!"

"My dad."

What????? Dan???? Seriously. I wanted to crawl under a rock.

"He makes me go to bed at 8:30 pm each night."

Oh, man. She doesn't get it. When we got to rating the book all of the girls gave it a 9/10. When we got to AE, she said, "I give it a 3. Nothing happened they just rode around in a train."

Last month she gave the book a 4.

This month she gave the book a 5 - we are moving up the scale...

She also walked into the her friend SE's house and loudly announced, "I really like your kitchen. It is so clean. Not like ours."

Sigh.

We are hosting in March, she has selected "The Graveyard Book" by Neil Gaiman for the group to read.

It is a story of a young boy who's family is killed, he flees to a graveyard and is raised by the ghosts who inhabit the graveyard. I have started it and it is good, really good.

However, I can't wait to hear what the discussion will be.

Comments

Chris said…
And I can't wait until you post it! That's one book club I want to be a part of:)
Anonymous said…
AE's comment about your kitchen would have gotten me a week of KP duty as a kid. (hee hee)...Shall have to remember that if one of mine pipes up about the mess that is our house.

nik
carey said…
classic schmidt house. love it. remember how embarrassing our parents were in high school? i think it's payback for how embarrassing kids can be when they are young.

Popular posts from this blog

50 is the new 40

There is hope - I realized today that Madonna is going to be 50 in like 3 months - crazy. 50. Have you seen her lately? She looks amazing and is proof that 50 is the new 40 or in her case 35. Here is her most recent song w/Justin Timberlake, 4 Minutes. Not gonna win a Grammy, but makes me want to start doing yoga, I would give anything for arms like that.

Pleased as punch

We got our new vacuum cleaner last night. The home office was kind enough to pick one up along with our PF Chang's takeout. Take out Chinese on Valentine's is a tradition. Anyhoo, as you can see from the photo we basically sucked up an entire Pomeranian in our upstairs family room. I don't know if I should be embarrassed or pleased. I mean we just vacuumed on Monday with the Hoover and I knew it wasn't picking up everything, but this is ridiculous. The home office was so impressed with the Animal he went downstairs and vacuumed up another canine in the family room down there. I am still trying to figure out all of the gadgets on the machine. I seriously cannot figure out how to attach the stair cleaner. It is really funky how the thing is put together, efficient, but funky. I also for the life of me cannot figure out the directions. I dislike how all European companies, Dyson (UK), IKEA (Sweden) just show you pictures. I always thought I was a visual person, but I am b

Gainfully employed

I heard back last night from Cargill , I start back into the world of the gainfully employed as an independent contractor on October 8 th . My old client, who will now be my new client, Jeff wrote: I'm thrilled we get to work together again. This is the most important project our business unit has taken on in a lot of years so I feel a lot better knowing you're going to be part of it. OK now I'm nervous. Eeek - the most important project? Whoa, better bring the A game, but you know I am excited - scared - but am ready to go. I have so much to do before the 8 th , gotta get the list together to make the most of my kid free week (now that litte man is at daycare in the a.m.). Let's see: 1) Paint basement. 2) Purge house of clutter - how can we accumulate this much crap? 3) Goodwill and library drop off - Maple Grove Library is taking donations until Oct. 6 th !!! 4) Get the yard ready for winter - should I plant more bulbs? 5) Put basement back together - IKEA run ma