Skip to main content

Needle in a haystack

Yesterday I did something I feel really good about. I helped my aunt find her best friend from elementary school she hasn't talked to in 44 years. For years when my aunt talked about Marilyn, she would always end with saying, "I would really like to find her, but I don't know where to start."

Well, yesterday we started and stopped in about three hours thanks to the amazing invention called the Internet. Marilyn moved from Pine City in the 1950s to Sioux Falls and had a common maiden name which is next to impossible to find someone as there were 22,500 hits for her name on Google.com. Finally I was able to track her down through Classmates.com and Ancestry.com from South Dakota, Texas, New Jersey and finally ending up in southeast Iowa.

My aunt called Marilyn last night for a long overdue talk and are going to meet very soon.

The best part is Marilyn even invited me.

Comments

Karen said…
So cool. Good job, Susan.
bobbione8y said…
omg!!!

yes, that is way way cool.
see, i know God is the one who runs the internet :))

he he.
carey said…
Susan,you rock. I always remember the visits from your mom and your aunt and your grandma up at school and thinking "wow, those women are TIGHT." it's great to see that none of that ever goes away...
Susan said…
If anyone wants me to find someone for you let me know. I have more time now that I am off the tennis circut. :-)

Also am doing a lot more genealogy if anyone needs anything.

Carey- Thanks for remembering my crazy family so fondly. We are tight, sometimes too tight but I wouldn't want it any other way.

Popular posts from this blog

50 is the new 40

There is hope - I realized today that Madonna is going to be 50 in like 3 months - crazy. 50. Have you seen her lately? She looks amazing and is proof that 50 is the new 40 or in her case 35. Here is her most recent song w/Justin Timberlake, 4 Minutes. Not gonna win a Grammy, but makes me want to start doing yoga, I would give anything for arms like that.

Pleased as punch

We got our new vacuum cleaner last night. The home office was kind enough to pick one up along with our PF Chang's takeout. Take out Chinese on Valentine's is a tradition. Anyhoo, as you can see from the photo we basically sucked up an entire Pomeranian in our upstairs family room. I don't know if I should be embarrassed or pleased. I mean we just vacuumed on Monday with the Hoover and I knew it wasn't picking up everything, but this is ridiculous. The home office was so impressed with the Animal he went downstairs and vacuumed up another canine in the family room down there. I am still trying to figure out all of the gadgets on the machine. I seriously cannot figure out how to attach the stair cleaner. It is really funky how the thing is put together, efficient, but funky. I also for the life of me cannot figure out the directions. I dislike how all European companies, Dyson (UK), IKEA (Sweden) just show you pictures. I always thought I was a visual person, but I am b