Skip to main content

Canola, help desk hell and hanging with Mike and Larry

Work so far is going well. I cannot believe how large the Cargill corporate office is - I seriously got lost going to and from the bathroom. I got all messed up when I left our "pod" because I didn't look to see what the sign hanging from the ceiling said. I knew I sit in "Grain I/T", however when I got back from the restroom all I saw was a sign for "Canola". Go figure - guess Canola and Grain sit together.

I am in the middle of IT land with programmers abound. I get to share a "bullpen" (four desks in a common area with a table in the middle - the table is the home to 2 monitors, a bunch of cables and is surrounded by boxes full of more techie stuff) with Mike and Larry - both are rather interesting. Larry likes the NY Jets and Mike evidently likes Amish furniture. Those are the only things the two have talked about. Haven't quite figured out why Mike carries around a 1% milk jug full of water wherever he goes - haven't seen him drink the murky water - then again I don't think I want to see that. You know I will eventually ask what the is the purpose of carrying around a milk jug...

I am feeling a bit disconnected from the outside world since I can't get to my home email on the Internet - everything is blocked. Plus I messed up one of my 3,239 passwords to get into the Internet - I did decide after today's exercise in patience I AM NOT CALLING THE HELP DESK UNLESS MY LAPTOP STARTS ON FIRE. The help desk support is in India and it took the poor girl 17 minutes (14 minutes of which I was on hold) to figure out she couldn't help me anyway. We did spend most of the three minutes she actually conversed with me trying to figure out if one another was saying "e" or "c" in Schmidt. Let's just say it was painful.

Overall, it is going fine now that I know where the cafeteria, the bathroom and the parking garage are located.I am sure there will be more adventures to come, let's just say Cargill has definitely got their moneys worth out of me so far.

Comments

carey said…
take a camera and start filming. sounds like the whole set-up is ripe for prime time.
Karen said…
Try as I might, I cannot get the picture of you in The Office out of my head. Which, btw, I love, and would have never watched if you hadn't blogged about it. My husband thinks it's "retarded," and doesn't understand that THAT is exactly why I love it.
bobbione8y said…
anyone who doesn't love the office, has never WORKED in the office.

i bet all of susan's coworkers at cargill love that show :)

more stories, please, susan ;)
Chris said…
Good! I am glad that you ar loving it.
Anonymous said…
From a fellow Cargill employee, welcome to the "nohelp desk". I swore off calling the nohelp desk when it moved to India. I decided to resort to the one thing I have always avoided, "reading the instructions!". When that fails, I just decide I really didn't need that function anyway. Keep the Cargill stories coming, I can definately relate.

Popular posts from this blog

50 is the new 40

There is hope - I realized today that Madonna is going to be 50 in like 3 months - crazy. 50. Have you seen her lately? She looks amazing and is proof that 50 is the new 40 or in her case 35. Here is her most recent song w/Justin Timberlake, 4 Minutes. Not gonna win a Grammy, but makes me want to start doing yoga, I would give anything for arms like that.

Gainfully employed

I heard back last night from Cargill , I start back into the world of the gainfully employed as an independent contractor on October 8 th . My old client, who will now be my new client, Jeff wrote: I'm thrilled we get to work together again. This is the most important project our business unit has taken on in a lot of years so I feel a lot better knowing you're going to be part of it. OK now I'm nervous. Eeek - the most important project? Whoa, better bring the A game, but you know I am excited - scared - but am ready to go. I have so much to do before the 8 th , gotta get the list together to make the most of my kid free week (now that litte man is at daycare in the a.m.). Let's see: 1) Paint basement. 2) Purge house of clutter - how can we accumulate this much crap? 3) Goodwill and library drop off - Maple Grove Library is taking donations until Oct. 6 th !!! 4) Get the yard ready for winter - should I plant more bulbs? 5) Put basement back together - IKEA run ma

Pleased as punch

We got our new vacuum cleaner last night. The home office was kind enough to pick one up along with our PF Chang's takeout. Take out Chinese on Valentine's is a tradition. Anyhoo, as you can see from the photo we basically sucked up an entire Pomeranian in our upstairs family room. I don't know if I should be embarrassed or pleased. I mean we just vacuumed on Monday with the Hoover and I knew it wasn't picking up everything, but this is ridiculous. The home office was so impressed with the Animal he went downstairs and vacuumed up another canine in the family room down there. I am still trying to figure out all of the gadgets on the machine. I seriously cannot figure out how to attach the stair cleaner. It is really funky how the thing is put together, efficient, but funky. I also for the life of me cannot figure out the directions. I dislike how all European companies, Dyson (UK), IKEA (Sweden) just show you pictures. I always thought I was a visual person, but I am b