Skip to main content

Our son, the goon

We have made an executive decision in the Schmidt House. Little man cannot watch any more NHL hockey. Why? Well for starters one word - Boogaard.

Because he has become a little hockey goon taking all kinds of cheap, sneaky shots at his opponents. Near as we can tell it may stem from a little cheering session dad and son had on Friday evening during a full on brawl during the Wild game. JG was cheering, "Fight, fight, fight."

No good.

During Saturday's game, JG hooked a kid and laid on "Jacob" until the coach pulled him off. Jacob had knocked JG down earlier and little man obviously made note of #5 and retaliated. Jacob's mother and one of JG's friends mom were sitting behind me complaining quite loudly, "That kid is being mean to Jacob, can't someone get him off my son????" I turned around and informed her, "That would be JG." They then were quiet. Nothing like calling out the elephant in the room.

On Sunday it got even worse. JG decided to really get cheap - he knocked the skates right out from under his opponents, he also checked this one kid so hard it caused a parent to yell, "PENALTY!!!"

Dan and I just sat there - speechless. JG got quite the lecture about hockey etiquette on the way home and how his parents do not condone such behavior.

Dan has decided it would best to continue to support our son's hockey career, however we feel it might be best to not invest in large buttons with Gravedigger's photo proudly displayed. It may cause a dispute at the concession stand when we, the goon's parents are just trying to buy a little hot chocolate and one of his victims parents may take issue... Never a dull moment.

Comments

Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
carey said…
coach jamie has several little "goons" on his team, we call one of them The Bowling Ball, for obvious reasons. the kids don't seem to mind, it's the parents that throw the fits.
these kids are five and six years old. i don't see any of the seven or eight year olds doing it, which means they outgrow it. sit tight, giggle on the inside, and it will pass...i promise :)
Anonymous said…
Or you could approach it another way: Boogie has a fighting camp. Perhaps he could start accepting little shavers. Little Man could become the enforcer in the MG league. heehee. (note: We got to sit in the penalty box last night at the Wild/Calgary game. Boogard likes to stretch out right in front of the timekeeper for the last two minutes of warmups. Two things: Luke thought it was the coolest. And! They were listening to the Foo Fighters almost as loud as it was at the concert. Thought of you).

nik

Popular posts from this blog

50 is the new 40

There is hope - I realized today that Madonna is going to be 50 in like 3 months - crazy. 50. Have you seen her lately? She looks amazing and is proof that 50 is the new 40 or in her case 35. Here is her most recent song w/Justin Timberlake, 4 Minutes. Not gonna win a Grammy, but makes me want to start doing yoga, I would give anything for arms like that.

What's your playlist?

Over the holidays I began the task of cleaning out my iPod. Some of the music I am proud to say I listen to and then there are the cringe worthy tunes I am too embarrassed to admit. In all there are 2,789 songs on my iPod (down from 3,643). I am amazed, how could I possibly listen to or know nearly 4,000 songs? Obviously the iPod has taken on a life of its own. While scrolling through the bazillion songs I began to think about all of these Celebrity playlists out on iTunes which are supposed to define who the person is in song and how the music shaped their lives. Some of the lists are lame and try to make the person sound more interesting and deeper than who they really are. Other lists have introduced me to music I would have never listened to before which I love, plus they sometimes give you a glimpse to moments in their lives. I am going to give my non-celebrity, hopefully non-lame playlist a shot. Thanks for letting me indulge. Here is my life (so far) in song: Dancing Queen - AB