Skip to main content

What's your playlist?

Over the holidays I began the task of cleaning out my iPod. Some of the music I am proud to say I listen to and then there are the cringe worthy tunes I am too embarrassed to admit. In all there are 2,789 songs on my iPod (down from 3,643). I am amazed, how could I possibly listen to or know nearly 4,000 songs?

Obviously the iPod has taken on a life of its own.

While scrolling through the bazillion songs I began to think about all of these Celebrity playlists out on iTunes which are supposed to define who the person is in song and how the music shaped their lives. Some of the lists are lame and try to make the person sound more interesting and deeper than who they really are. Other lists have introduced me to music I would have never listened to before which I love, plus they sometimes give you a glimpse to moments in their lives.

I am going to give my non-celebrity, hopefully non-lame playlist a shot. Thanks for letting me indulge. Here is my life (so far) in song:

Dancing Queen - ABBA - This is my childhood (along with every other little girl in the 70s). It is dancing with Auntie Shirley and mom in Tahoe. My sister and I must have worn out the tape, we seriously listened to this the entire road trip to CA and back in 1982. That would be about 24 hours of ABBA. No wonder our grandma couldn't wait to get out of the car.

Kiss Off - Violent Femmes - This is high school. I smile whenever I hear this song and remember driving around with my friends and singing it at the top of our lungs. I forget what eight was for.

Luka - Suzanne Vega - This is one of the most annoying songs, but it completely reminds me of when I lived in Japan and didn't know anyone at first. So I would sit in my room and listen to Suzanne Vega and think, "I wish I knew someone who spoke English."

Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want/How Soon is Now? - The Smiths - Moving from WY to MN, complete angst and drama of being a teenager - these songs fit so well. It is kind of funny to listen to them now. Turned out to be the best thing to happen, guess there is a plan.

Ironic - Alanis Morisette - Still one of my favorites. It makes me smile and remember maybe we aren't in as much control as we might think.

Sweetest Thing - U2 - Blue eyed boy meets a brown eyed girl. Sappy, but reminds me of my husband. He would hate I told anyone that - don't tell him - o.k.?

God Only Knows - The Beach Boys - Love the Beach Boys. Brian Wilson is a genius. I have sung this to AE & JG since the day they were born. One of the most beautiful songs ever written.

The Luckiest - Ben Folds - Very sweet song, it's about knowing you are where you're supposed to be.

Just a Girl - No Doubt - This song reminds me of my sister. We actually had a little sing-a-long flashback this summer driving through the middle of nowhere in Nevada with the windows down. I've had it up to here - I think of that line often. Wonder if I will still sing this song when I am 80?

Everlong - Foo Fighters - My favorite band. Couldn't have my life in song without Foo.

Comments

bobbione8y said…
yep, gotcha on that idea...your playlist is completely different than mine, but i know where you are coming from.

for my 40th birthday, the invitation to my party was a cd of my life in song.

not sure anybody else cared, but it was fun to find songs to capture every stage in my life, and who i was at that point.

these days, i don't even HAVE an ipod. but then, i am chained to this computer and listen to itunes. so i'm halfway there :)
Susan said…
What was on your CD? I don't know if anyone else cares either, but it is good to have for posteritys sake, right? You are half way there. Don't worry about not having an iPod. Just another thing to have to keep track of.
Chris said…
Susan, that was a fun entry, thanks for writing it! I learned more about you that I didn't know. I don't have an ipod either and I haven't updated my music on my computer in a long time. I have gotten lazy. I still love listening to all my favorites and singing at the top of my lungs in my car.
bobbione8y said…
took awhile, but i found it!

i'm a believer - the monkees (first single, gift from gramma in about 1968)
kentucky rain - elvis - (mom’s favorite guy, so also mine!)
mandy - barry manilow - (first album bought with my own money in 1974)
cinderella - (late 70’s, shag hair, gmc gremlin, and country rock)
you're my home - (billy joel, acoustic, still a very very good song)
jessie's girl - (college afternoons and “all my children”, rick springfield)
fall on me - (finally, some taste - REM and dreams of moving to athens)
closer to fine - (same era, indigo girls anthem)
black - (trips to minneapolis with rick and kirsten, eddie vetter)
allison road - (1st day at lawrence and schiller, gin blossoms)
i believe you - (the pomp room, and todd schneider)
god of wonders - (reborn in 2001, third day)
Susan said…
OK. This is so scary.

Items on my list, but removed due to fear of the longest blog in history...

1) I'm a Believer - 1st record I bought at Kresge's Drug in Rapid.
2) Mandy - 1st concert. BARRY.
3) Closer to Fine - Reminds me of my first real job.

Also love Allison Road.

Guess we have some good taste, non?
bobbione8y said…
he he ...that IS weird. and here i was thinking i was an original...

btw, carey says we would actually like each other in person, too :))

Popular posts from this blog

50 is the new 40

There is hope - I realized today that Madonna is going to be 50 in like 3 months - crazy. 50. Have you seen her lately? She looks amazing and is proof that 50 is the new 40 or in her case 35. Here is her most recent song w/Justin Timberlake, 4 Minutes. Not gonna win a Grammy, but makes me want to start doing yoga, I would give anything for arms like that.

Pleased as punch

We got our new vacuum cleaner last night. The home office was kind enough to pick one up along with our PF Chang's takeout. Take out Chinese on Valentine's is a tradition. Anyhoo, as you can see from the photo we basically sucked up an entire Pomeranian in our upstairs family room. I don't know if I should be embarrassed or pleased. I mean we just vacuumed on Monday with the Hoover and I knew it wasn't picking up everything, but this is ridiculous. The home office was so impressed with the Animal he went downstairs and vacuumed up another canine in the family room down there. I am still trying to figure out all of the gadgets on the machine. I seriously cannot figure out how to attach the stair cleaner. It is really funky how the thing is put together, efficient, but funky. I also for the life of me cannot figure out the directions. I dislike how all European companies, Dyson (UK), IKEA (Sweden) just show you pictures. I always thought I was a visual person, but I am b

So proud

When we arrived home from vacation there was an envelope from AE's school district among the piles of magazines and bills. I opened the envelope fully expecting to find information about a District 279 fundraiser. Instead the letter began with, "To the Family of AE: Congratulations! AE has been selected to be the recipient of an Educational Shareholder Award at the District 279 Foundation annual Investment in Youth event." I couldn't comprehend the letter at first and had to stop and re-read the first sentence again. There was a corresponding essay: AE is a 3rd grader at Weaver Lake Elementary. In her 3rd grade classroom there are several children with Autism whom she has taken under her wing. Last year she asked her mother to request a classroom with students from the Connect program. Some of the things AE has done to help these students are she sits by them during instruction time and walks them through the directions, she helps them fill out their assignment noteb